Things to Consider
Whether you are planning on building a new home, renovating portions of your current residence, or expanding with additional space, the success of your project will rely heavily on the amount of preparation invested up front. An honest assessment and discussion of the expectations early on will help to minimize disappointments as the project moves along. Establishing clear expectations and a solidly defined scope of work will serve all involved throughout the project.
- Does the project fit the neighborhood?
- Does it fit the lot?
- Is the budget realistic?
- Is the project feasible?
- What are the ultimate goals and objectives?
- Could there be fallback goals and objectives?
- Can you prioritize the want list?
- Is this house your final home or an intermediate step?
- Do you have the time (and patience) to invest?
- Are you prepared to make the commitment?
It is important to fully understand what is required to undertake a project. There are many things to consider:
These are just a few of the questions that you will need to consider.
Once you've determined your goals and objectives, the next step in a successful project is the generation of good quality, detailed construction drawings. The more answers that are provided in the drawings, the fewer questions will need to be answered on-the-fly during construction - thus improving the overall construction experience. The Proper APPROACH lays the groundwork for a successful construction project.